Minnesota Department of Human Services: Telephone Equipment Distribution Program
Improve access to the phone during Better Hearing and Speech month
Minnesota Department of Human Services sent this bulletin at 05/16/2022 03:35 PM CDT
Do you have a hard time using the phone due to hearing loss or a speech disability? May is Better Hearing and Speech month, and a great time to learn more about assistive devices that can make it easier to use the phone.
For people who have a hard time hearing on the phone, assistive devices include:
- Captioned phones that show captions of what the other caller is saying on a large screen.
- Cell phone amplifiers that make cell phone calls louder.
- Amplified corded or cordless phones that make landline calls louder.
- Neckloop streamers that send sound from your phone directly to your hearing aid, eliminating background noise.
- Smartphones and tablets with captioned phone and other phone communication apps.
For people who have a speech disability, assistive devices include:
- Electrolarynx devices that create vibrations you can transform into speech.
- Voice amplifiers to make your voice louder.
- Smartphones and tablets with speech communication apps.
The Telephone Equipment Distribution (TED) Program loans these devices for free to those who qualify. You can learn more — and download an application — on the TED webpage.
Do you have questions about the TED Program?
Please contact DHHSD!
We look forward to serving you!