Committing to Social Justice
We at Vision Loss Resources strive to build a community of service, skills, and support for people with vision loss. As we continue to grieve the senseless death of George Floyd, we stand in solidarity with our Black, Indigenous, and People of Color clients, colleagues, and communities. We acknowledge the social injustices heard around the world. We are here to listen, learn, and engage our organization to ensure that our services are inclusive to all community members. Black Lives Matter. Diversity, equity, and inclusion must be at the heart of Vision Loss Resources. We are committed to dig deep within and examine our practices. We are committed to be a part of the change that creates a community of service, skills, and support for all.
Vision Loss Resources defines diversity as differences that influence and affect our services, our workplace culture, and the communities and clients we serve relating to ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, ideology, income, national origin, race or sexual orientation. We commit to being inclusive, to respecting each other, and to honoring each other’s rights.
We are committed to the following:
- Welcoming all individuals in our programs and facilities
- Developing programs that respond to the needs of our clients, participants, and communities
- Using hiring and employment practices that are free from bias or discrimination
- Hiring and maintaining a diverse group of employees and volunteers
- Maintaining a safe environment that is free from acts of discrimination or harassment against any individual
We value community, service, respect, and innovation; they guide our behavior, our interactions with each other, our programs and our decision making.