Vision Loss Resources
For more than 100 years Vision Loss Resources (VLR) has provided services for those who are visually impaired, blind or deafblind. Clients, caregivers, donors, business partners, volunteers and dedicated staff provide robust support for VLR programming through Community Services, Rehabilitation Services and DeafBlind Services of Minnesota. Contract Production Services is a social enterprise owned by VLR which contributes support to the mission to provide services, skills and support for people with vision loss.
This position has a dual focus on traditional community service specialist responsibilities (75-80%) and community outreach to underserved communities (20-25%).
Community Specialist responsibilities:
- Perform in-home assessments, training and instructions for participants
- Organize and facilitate multiple support groups monthly
- Facilitate one Community Center activity per month
- Identify and provide resources and services available through VLR, State Services for the Blind (SSB), Veteran’s Affairs (VA), and other agencies to help participants adapt to vision loss
- Assist clients with the emotional aspects of vision loss
- Serve as a participant advocate for obtaining needed services
- Lead in-service trainings to assist organizations in adapting their services.
- Provide community education presentations to participants, families, and organizations
- Create awareness of VLR’s programming and services through staffing tables at vendor fairs, conferences, etc.
Community Outreach Responsibilities
- Identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with community partners
- Design and implement presentations, communications and educational event planning with specific emphasis on groups with language, cultural or economic barriers to health care.
- Develop and distribute educational materials and presentations to partners
- Ability and desire to work in multi-cultural setting who are recent immigrants including hard-of-hearing, deaf, visually-impaired, blind or deafblind individuals.
- Prior experience developing community relationship beginning at the grassroots levels.
- Associate’s degree or relevant combination of education and experience
- Prior coordinating or delivering programming desirable
- Ability to work a fluctuating schedule
- Access to reliable transportation to both St. Paul and Minneapolis locations, and to outings
Vision Loss Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer for all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Submit resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.