If you’ve visited Vision Loss Resources in Minneapolis, you’ve been to one of the busiest intersections in the city: Lyndale and Franklin Avenues. To get there, you may have passed through the very busy area just north of us: Hennepin/Lyndale. These multi-lane avenues are major traffic hubs, including:
- Interstates 94 and 394 on- and off-ramps
- access to destinations including Downtown Minneapolis, Loring Park, the Walker Art Center and Sculpture Garden, Basilica of Saint Mary, and Saint Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral
- the Lowry Tunnel (an underground tunnel for Interstate 94 running underneath the Hennepin/Lyndale area)
- Groveland Avenue intersection
- Oak Grove Street and Vineland Place intersection
…just to name a few.
If you’re visiting our Minneapolis office in 2015 and 2016, please be aware of a major construction project that will affect traffic in our neighborhood, just south of downtown. The Hennepin/Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction Project, developed by the City of Minneapolis and the design consulting form Kimley-Horn & Associates, seeks to improve traffic flow on Hennepin and Lyndale Avenues, from Franklin Avenue to Dunwoody Boulevard.
We’re in the loop: in October 2014, Jon Horn of Kimley-Horn visited Vision Loss Resources to discuss the plans with staff, and field our questions and concerns. The project is changing constantly, so for the latest updates, please check out the website: Hennepin/Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction Project. The project is anticipated to get started in Spring 2016.
One precursor to the project begins on the last full week of August 2015: the construction of a city sewer. Here is a schedule of closures:
Week of August 17: changeable message signs will be put up in the corridor alerting travelers of upcoming construction work. Some preliminary construction work will begin, but will not affect traffic.
Week of August 24: construction will begin. Closures of traffic lanes and the east leg of the Groveland/Hennepin intersection will begin as noted below:
- The east leg of the Groveland Ave/Hennepin Ave intersection will be closed to all traffic. This closure is anticipated to be required for up to 7 weeks (Aug 24 – mid October). The east-west pedestrian crossing from Groveland across Hennepin/Lyndale will be maintained throughout construction.
- The right (east) two lanes of northbound Hennepin Avenue will be closed to vehicle traffic between the I-94 exit ramp and just short of Oak Grove. The left (west) two lanes will remain open. This closure will be required throughout construction (Aug 24 – mid November).
- One of the closed traffic lanes will be converted to a 10-foot wide, two-way path to be shared by bicyclists and pedestrians. This will be the detour for Loring Greenway, which will be closed during construction (Aug 24 – mid November).
- The east leg of the Oak Grove intersection will be closed once construction at Groveland is complete. This closure is anticipated to be required for up to 4 weeks (mid October – mid November). At least one east-west pedestrian crossing from Oak Grove across Hennepin/Lyndale will be maintained throughout construction.
The bus stops for northbound bus routes will remain open at Groveland and Oak Grove throughout construction.
The above information on closures comes from the Hennepin/Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction Project website, accessed on August 19, 2015. Please visit the website for updated information.