For more than 100 years Vision Loss Resources (VLR) has provided services for those who are visually impaired, blind or deafblind. Clients, caregivers, donors, business partners, volunteers and dedicated staff provide robust support for VLR programming through Community Services, Rehabilitation Services and DeafBlind Services of Minnesota. Contract Production Services is a social enterprise owned by VLR which contributes support to the mission to provide services, skills and support for people with vision loss.
The responsibilities of this diverse position include:
- Perform in-home assessments for participants with vision loss and develop an individual service plans based on the evaluation of participant needs
- Provide in-home training and instruction to individuals with vision loss in the use of adaptive skills and assistive technology to increase independence
- Organize and facilitate multiple support groups monthly
- Facilitate one Community Center activity per month
- Identify and provide resources and services available through VLR, State Services for the Blind (SSB), Veteran’s Affairs (VA), and other agencies to help participants adapt to vision loss
- Participate in agency-provided comprehensive, ongoing training in vision rehabilitation
- Conceptualize and recommend solutions and innovative approaches to providing new or expanded services to address participant needs
- Assist clients with the emotional aspects of vision loss
- Serve as a participant advocate for obtaining needed services
- Seek and maintain professional relationships with referring organizations and partners
- Lead in-service trainings to assist organizations in adapting their services to the needs of people with low vision or blindness
- Provide community education presentations to participants, families, and organizations
- Create awareness of VLR’s programming and services through staffing tables at vendor fairs, conferences, etc.
- Commitment to the VLR mission to provide services, skills and support for people with vision loss.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural setting including hard-of-hearing, deaf, visually-impaired, blind or deafblind individuals. May also work with clients who are recent immigrants from other countries.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant combination of education and experience
- Prior success coordinating or delivering programming desirable
- Experience working with disabilities desirable
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work a fluctuating schedule, including 3-4 evenings per month
- Access to reliable transportation to both St. Paul and Minneapolis locations, and to outings
Vision Loss Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer for all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
To apply, please email your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org